Asbestos Removal Operative Cards
Asbestos Removal Operatives can gain ARCA AMI Skills Cards, which carry the CSCS logo, for access to construction sites.
Applications can be made by employers and individual operatives for temporary red cards and a blue skilled worker cards.
Temporary red cards
- Asbestos Removal Operative (Trained) – valid for 3 years, not renewable
- Asbestos Removal Operative (Experienced Worker) – valid for 1 year, not renewable
- Apprentice Asbestos Removal Operative – valid for 3 years, not renewable
Blue Skilled Worker card
- Asbestos Removal Operative – valid for 5 years, renewable
By carrying the CSCS logo these cards provide a means to verify identity and that the operative has the required qualifications, training and experience to carry out asbestos removal work on a construction site.
All physical cards issued by ARCA use smart technology and contain an electronic chip. This can be used to check the identity of the card holder and, for example, when ARCA updates a card holders’ record with ‘successfully completed operative annual refresher’ this will automatically update the chip in the card.
Virtual smartcards can also be issued to applicants, at no additional cost, if the applicant provides a personal mobile number and email address on the application form. A virtual smartcard is a smartcard that is stored in an app on the card holders’ smartphone or tablet (this can be used instead of or as well as a physical card). Full details on the smartcard system and app are available here
Requirements to gain an Operative CSCS Card
The training and/or qualifications required to gain a temporary red card or a blue card are listed in the ARCA AMI Skills Card Scheme Information booklet which is available to download on this page.
To gain an Asbestos Removal Operative (blue skilled worker) card an operative needs to hold the ‘Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Removal of Hazardous Waste (Construction)- Licensed Asbestos’ – information on how to gain this NVQ qualification via ARCA is available here
How to Apply
Applications for cards can be made by employers or individual operatives, with proof of the required training / qualification for that particular card being submitted with the application.
- Step 1 Gain ALL the relevant training and/or qualifications required for the card (as stated in the Scheme Information booklet)
- Step 2 Signing into or register onto the ARCA portal via the green login button at the top of this page. Go to CSCS cards to complete an Application Form and upload all training and/or qualifications evidence required for the card and submit.
- Step 3 Once submitted ARCA will review application. If all information is correct a card will be issued and an invoice issued.